Alphabetical List of Organizations
• ASLA– American Society of Landscape Gardeners – ctasla.org –
• BBG – Berkshire Botanical Garden – berkshirebotanical.org
• Capital District Garden & Flower Show – GardenAndFlowerShow.com
• Cary Institute – Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies – www.caryinstitute.org
• CACIWC – Connecticut Association of Conservation & Inland Wetlands Commissions – www.caciwc.org
• CIPWG – Connecticut Invasive Plant Working Group: www.cipwg.uconn.edu
• CT NOFA – Northeast Organic Farming Association of Connecticut – ctnofa.org – 203-308-2584
• GBC – Greenwich Botanical Center – www.gecgreenwich.org – 203-869-9242
• Hollister House Garden, 300 Nettleton Hollow Rd., Washington, Ct 06793 – 860-868-2200 – hollisterhousegarden.org –
• Mad Gardeners – madgardeners.org
• NCNC – New Canaan Nature Center, 144 Oenoke Ridge, New Canaan, CT 06840 – 203-966-9577 – www.NewCanaanNature.org
• NEWFS – New England Wild Flower Society, 180 Hemenway Road, Framingham, MA 01701 – www.newenglandwild.org
• NYBG – New York Botanical Garden – nybg.org
• Trade Secrets Rare Plant & Garden Antiques annual event to benefit Women’s Support Services – www.tradesecretsct.com
• UConn Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Program: www.ipm.uconn.edu
• UConn College of Agriculture, Health & Natural Resources – www.uconn.edu –
• UMass Extension Landscape, Nursery and Urban Forestry Program – French Hall, 230 Stockbridge Rd., Amherst, MA 01003 – 413 – 545-0895 – www.UMassGreenInfo.org
• UMass Garden Calendar Now Available! – umassgardencalendar.org
EVENTS – LISTED CHRONOLOGICALLY
• UMass Landscape Message
The LANDSCAPE MESSAGE is posted monthly at
UMass Landscape Message
• SAT., APRIL 6 – UMass Ext: Home Orchard Establishment & Basics: a Classroom Workshop
Phillipston MA, 10am to 12pm, $50 – Information & registration at UMassGarden.com
• SAT., APRIL 6 – UMass Ext: Home Orchard Pest Management: a Hands-on Workshop
Phillipston MA, 1pm to 3pm, $50 – Information & registration at UMassGarden.com
• TUES., APRIL 16 – BBG at NCNC: Fundamentals of Gardening
This course is also required for the Horticultural Therapy Certificate.
Explore the basic principles underlying successful, environmentally friendly gardening, including the structure and physiological processes of plants and their relationships to the settings in which they grow. Students learn not only what to do, but why. Topics include soils and their improvement, seed sowing, vegetative propagation, planting, pruning, watering, weeding, mulching, and disease and pest control. Tuesday April 16 through Tuesday May 7 – information & registration HERE
• MAY 18 & 19, 2019 – Trade Secrets Save the date!
The Trade Secrets Rare Plant & Garden Antiques sale is Saturday, May 18, 2019 at LionRock Farm, Rt. 41 & Hosier Road, Sharon, CT. Early buying begins at 8am, regular admission is 10am and late bloomer at 1pm. The sale runs until 3pm.
The Trade Secrets Garden Tour is on Sunday, May 19, 2019 from 10am – 4pm. For the privacy of our garden owners, we do not publish the physical address of the gardens online. The map will be mailed to you with your ticket. If you would like a copy of the directions for the garden tours, call the Women’s Support Services office at (860) 364-1080, Mon-Fri, 8:30am to 4:30pm. We will be happy to email or mail you a copy.
• FRI., JUNE 7 from 10:30 am-12:30 pm – Exhibition Symposium: Roberto Burle Marx—A Total Work of Art
Held in conjunction with the Garden-wide exhibition The Living Art of Roberto Burle Marx, this symposium explores the genre-spanning creativity of this Brazilian modernist master, celebrating his work as an innovative artist, landscape architect, and conservationist. Learn more.
Mon, June 10, 10am to 4pm – Millbrook Garden Club Garden Tour
The Millbrook Garden Club Garden Tour will feature five interesting and varied country gardens, from very large to quite small, including a historic house with beautiful arrangements by club members. Lunch will be served at the Mashomack Preserve, where there will also be enticing boutiques, open to all. This is a major fund raiser for our scholarships and civic involvement, and it is lots of fun.
The tour is $60 and the lunch $40. For information and/or tickets, get n touch with Ellen Petersen at email@example.com